King Arthur Baking Company
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
We're proud of the flaky texture of this crust, which can be difficult to achieve with gluten-free ingredients. Thorough baking and a golden brown color will give this crust a wonderful toasty flavor. This is enough for a single 9" crust, but can easily be doubled to make a two-crust pie.
35 to 40minutes
- 1 1/4 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Instant ClearJel, optional*
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 tbsp butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
- Lightly grease a 9" pie pan.
- Whisk together the flour or flour blend, sugar, Instant ClearJel, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Cut the cold butter into pats, then work the pats into the flour mixture until it's crumbly, with some larger, pea-sized chunks of butter remaining.
- Whisk the egg and vinegar or lemon juice together until very foamy. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture holds together, adding 1 to 3 additional tablespoons cold water if necessary.
- Shape into a ball and chill for an hour, or up to overnight.
- Allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out on a piece of plastic wrap, on a silicone rolling mat, or in a pie bag that's been heavily sprinkled with gluten-free flour or flour blend. Invert the crust into the prepared pie pan.
- Fill and bake as your pie recipe directs.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.